Tuesday, July 1, 2014

My First Impression

View of Valencia atop the Torres de Serrano



They always tell you, “Look before you leap.” Well the truth is, I was never given that chance. My once in a lifetime chance to escape the sheltering walls of my small rural town was quickly passing. So as one would expect, I leaped. I flew with the clouds beneath my knees for more than 12 hours, staring blankly into the seat in front of me as I nervously awaited my arrival in a whole new world.
            My first few hours in Valencia were spent acclimating to the sound of Spanish words and accents flowing smoothly from the natives’ mouths. With my less-than-impressive Spanish class history, it was, and still is, hard to understand most of everything they are saying. I have truly already gained respect for those who speak even a touch of English. They have taken the time to learn a second language in order to accommodate those who visit. It has encouraged me to push myself in my own way to learn Spanish in order to make it easier for those around me.
            Throughout my days here I have spent most of my time exploring every corner of this incredible city. Mostly getting lost on the metro trying to find my way back to the Torres de Serrano, which stands as a signal that home is ahead. The getting lost, though, seems to be my favorite part. It is from experience that in order to find yourself, you must first get lost. For me, it was amongst the towering ancient architecture of Valencia. The most shocking part of my experience, though, is the fact that each of these buildings, however old, are to this day still filled with as much life and culture as they were one thousand years ago.

            Overall, it was the love for their culture and heritage that really caught my eye. Walking through the streets I witnessed women dressed in traditional Spanish dresses headed to a festival atop the Torres de Serrano. I witnessed couples salsa dancing in the middle of the sidewalks to classic Spanish music blasting from the parks. Even more, in every restaurant you were guaranteed to be proudly offered paella and Agua de Valencia. Witnessing the cultural preservation of the city and its treasures is incomparable. This was an irrevocably perfect first impression that has been bestowed upon me, and for that I am forever grateful. 

2 comments:

  1. This is so exciting! I've always wanted to go to Spain, their architecture style is one of my favorites (along with Italy)! I'm happy you're having such a great time, and I think it's wonderful you've started a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura! I really wanted a way to show everyone back in the states how life in Spain is. It's everything you can imagine and more!

    ReplyDelete