Sunday, July 6, 2014

I'll Be Comin' 'Round the Mountain

 
In the Mountains of Spain
     Mountains are always intimidating. Everything about them suggest a challenge. They remind you that you are a mere speck in their valleys as they look out over the rest of the world. This weekend I faced the challenge of climbing to the top of one of the mountains in Eastern Spain. The view from the top was incredible to say the least. Describing the feeling that came over me as I looked out over the land is almost impossible. It felt as though I had no limit. I felt unconquered and genuinely proud of myself for the first time in a very long while. It may sound dramatic giving this much credit to one hike up a small mountain, but for me it stands as a metaphor for the goals I wish to accomplish in my life. If one mountain can be conquered, then why stop there? 
     Though the view was unmistakably perfect, the climb to the top was everything but. At the lowest part of the mountain the path was wide with a soft uphill stroll. As we got higher, though, the rocks became loose and the once easy stroll became strenuous. Many times I caught myself as the rocks beneath me made for a less-than-trusting path. Surrounding me were metaphors of my life: The uneven pathway that began to narrow; the rollercoaster-like motion of the mountains' many bumps; even the view as we climbed higher and higher. At one point I became frustrated with the fact that this route was taking us back down after just having climbed halfway up. This is when a friend informed me that she had always heard that in order to climb a mountain, you must go both up and down before reaching the top. 
     This may not have been the largest mountain in the world, but it was an adventure I'll never forget. The sore legs and beads of sweat only left me itching for more. In due time, I hope to be given the chance to climb a taller one. I can only imagine the view from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment